is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.

Non Resident Hunting Licenses

The first step in getting your hunting license is passing the mandatory safety course. We have compiled a comprehensive Safety Course Practice Test, Expert Hunter Licensing Guide and accompanying Audiobook that will assist you in preparing for and filing for a hunting license application with your State's Department of Wildlife. Select the State, License and Tag you need below begin the process. will help simplify and expedite the process of obtaining your license. Our concierge services provide a step-by-step checklist to get licensed, along with additional, value-added services.

Hunting in the United States is an outdoor activity that many enthusiasts partake in for various reasons. While many avid hunters spend most of their time getting to know the terrain of their home state, other hunters like to explore the wilderness outside of their homes by visiting other states around the country. However, prior to heading out on your visiting hunting trip, you will need to obtain proper non-resident hunting license from the wildlife department of the state you are visiting. Non-resident hunting licenses vary, depending on a few factors such as your age and how long you will be staying during your visit. For more information on non-residential hunting licenses, read the sections outlined below:

  • Types of non-resident hunting licenses
  • Special non-resident hunting licenses
  • Visiting hunter tips

Types of Non-Resident Hunting Licenses

There are many types of non-resident hunting licenses available through the local wildlife department, depending on the state you are visiting for your hunting trip. Distinctions between the various types of non-resident licenses are made based on the length of your hunting trip visit, the types of animals you will hunt and your age. Non-resident license types include:

  • Small game hunting licenses.
  • Big game hunting licenses.
  • One-day hunting licenses.
  • Five-day hunting licenses.
  • Ten-day hunting licenses.
  • Annual hunting licenses.
  • Lifetime hunting licenses (only available in some states).

In some states, non-resident licenses are also available for more specific types of hunting based on the animal species you plan to catch. Species licenses cover a wide spectrum of animals, including:

  • Deer.
  • Elk.
  • Bears.
  • Hog.
  • Boar.
  • Caribou.
  • Duck.
  • Turkey.
  • Pheasant.
  • Quail.
  • Waterfowl.

To learn more about the types of non-resident licenses and how to get a non-resident license, visit the wildlife department website of the state you plan to visit.

Special Group Non-Resident Hunting Licenses

Aside from the standard non-resident hunting licenses, there are also non-resident licenses available in many states for specific groups of people. Discounted hunting licenses are typically only available to residents of a state. However, the following licenses are frequently made available through each state’s wildlife department:

  • Mentally/physically disabled hunting licenses
  • Disabled military veteran hunting licenses
  • Retired military veteran hunting licenses
  • Active-duty military hunting licenses
  • Senior citizen hunting licenses (ages 65 and older)
  • Youth hunting licenses

Special group hunting licenses are available at a discounted rate that can cost you anywhere from nothing (many senior and disabled hunting licenses are free of charge) to the price of a residential hunting license. To find out more about special group hunting licenses, visit the wildlife department website of the state you plan to visit.

Tips for Hunting in Another State

When visiting another state to hunt, you should make sure to prepare yourself for the differences in that state’s wilderness and wildlife. Proper hunting etiquette and wildlife knowledge helps to keep both you and the environment around you safe. Some tips for your next visiting hunting trip include:

  • Research wildlife in the state you will visit.
  • Make sure to have your hunter education certificate from your home state.
    • Almost all states require some sort of hunter education course in order to apply for a hunting license.
    • Most states accept hunter education cards from out-of-state.
  • Find out the hunting license application deadlines for the state you are visiting.
  • If you plan to use an off-highway vehicle (OHV) when hunting, make sure you have the proper registration and licensing.
  • Contact the wildlife department of the state you are visiting to find out about rules for carrying certain types of game across state lines.

To get more tips for your impending hunting trip, visit the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website.